Sunday 16 October 2011

Mail on Sunday's
Hitchens urges
protest marchers
to call it off

Mail on Sunday columnist Peter Hitchens - whose special feature on Boston and immigration four weeks ago helped stoke an already smouldering bonfire of resentment - has called for next month's protest march to be cancelled.
Writing in today's paper, he says:
"Street demonstrations are usually a waste of time at best. But they can also be dangerous or harmful. "And I must appeal to any readers I have in Boston in Lincolnshire to stay away from a march against immigration planned to take place there next month. I also appeal to the organisers of the march to call it off. And I’m hoping for sleet, and a strong east wind off the Wash, on that day. Let me explain.
"Some weeks ago I described the damage that stupid Government policies have done to Boston, which now has a huge migrant population mainly from Eastern Europe.
"I did not blame the migrants, whose enterprise I admire, or those who employed them. I hoped to illustrate the wrongness of our open borders, and of the EU membership that forces us to keep them open. I also wanted to assail the terrible schools, the dim welfare policies and the family breakdown that have left so many British-born young people unemployable.
"Some concrete-headed councillor in Boston chose to attack what I had written, and cast doubt on its truth, reasonably angering many Bostonians who knew that what I had said was correct.
"But a demonstration in such a place can do no good, and may well cause tension and bring undesirable political chancers to the town. Already, an outfit called ‘Unite Against Fascism’ (what ‘fascism’, by the way?) is planning a counter- demonstration on the same day. Just imagine the stupidities that could lead to.
"If there is trouble, it will only damage the cause of those who want common sense to prevail in this country again. Call it off."


You can write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com  Your e-mails will be treated in confidence and published anonymously if requested.
Our former blog archive is available at: http://bostoneyelincolnshire.blogspot.com



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2049690/A-nudge-wink--Left-really-saying-Liam-Fox.html#ixzz1avgeRhco

No comments:

Post a Comment