Monday 1 October 2012





A Boston borough councillor has said he will stick to the rules, after complaints that he has overstayed waiting time limits – sometimes on double yellow lines – and used his council-issued free car park ticket whilst attending a local football match.
Complaints about Councillor Paul Mould’s parking have been rumbling on since the beginning of the year, but came to a head just over a week ago, when a concerned Witham ward resident wrote to his local representative and former mayor Councillor Mary Wright.
In his e-mail, he said: “This is an issue I have raised with you before and unfortunately must raise again after no change in behaviour – and you seemed unprepared to tackle it previously.
“I feel the time has come to insist you do something regarding one of your Conservative group councillors who resides in our ward …
“Councillor Mould’s continual total disregard for the laws of the land, refusing to follow the signage near his flat on two hours permitted - and his regular … even worse … behaviour of parking on the double yellow lines – is nothing short of a disgrace.
“When I raise it with him he's not prepared to change his ways, so I feel it’s time for you to raise this complaint officially.
“Why should he be so above the law considering the appalling treatment of disabled motorists in the town as well as the unjustifiable increase in parking fees for the rest of us in these very difficult times?
“He claims he will get a permit when they come in force. Is this something you can confirm is going to take place if on-street resident parking is going to be introduced?
“I look forward to an early response on this, and must insist this matter is finally taken seriously …”
Any hope of an early response was not forthcoming.
In an e-mailed response, Councillor Wright said: “As far as I am concerned it is not a ward issue it is a police issue.”
When challenged: “Am I to understand then you are not prepared to tackle this issue as our ward councillor, being part of the same closed shop leading party? Surely it is easier for you to resolve than anyone else?"  –  the response came “I have forwarded your email to Paul.  He will have to resolve it himself.”
The complainant – who is obviously known to the councillors involved, but asked for his name not to be more widely broadcast on Boston Eye, said that he also telephoned Councillor Wright: “She hasn't had any contact with Paul Mould and won't be … She got very uppity about why I'm so critical of the Tory group. I pointed out how let down I feel by them, and my disgust on how the promises of openness and transparency aren't being delivered, and on their block voting tactics - considering how critical they were of the BBI.
“At this point she hung up.
“I called back … but, strangely, went straight to answer machine.”
Around about the same time, we received a second complaint that Councillor Mould’s car had been seen parked in the council run Artillery Row car park during a Boston United game, and displayed the council’s “get out of jail free card” which permits free parking on council related business.
We put these points to Councillor Mould, who initially sent an e-mail message via another councillor saying: “Could you please tell Boston Eye that, thanks to him and ----- --------- I will not be parking my car for longer than two hours in front of my house during 9.00am and 6.00pm any longer, and I will be walking to Boston United matches in the future.”
The latter, or course is not necessary, as the parking charges are very small – in the case of attendance at a football match, the relevant fees are £1.60 for up to four hours and the maximum is only £2.10.
Councillor Mould e-mailed us later to add: “I would hope you will take into consideration the fact that I have never claimed anything for petrol expenses for my council work and never will, unless I have to travel to other towns or cities.  The only meeting I missed in my first year was when it clashed with   a Governors' meeting I couldn't miss.”
 

You can write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com Your e-mails will be treated in confidence and published anonymously if requested.
Our former blog is archived at: http://bostoneyelincolnshire.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment