Thursday 9 August 2012


A response from the English Democrat leader on Boston Borough Council to our comments on Monday about attendance by the party’s two members has produced a strong attack on the council and the way a “bunch of middle aged retired men with no clue on the problems the town faces just seem to be hell bent on making it a worse place.”
Councillor Elliott Fountain – who took over the group leadership on 18th April – told Boston Eye:
“Regarding not attending a number of the Boston Town Area Committee meetings, this is because out of all the ones that I did attend, to me, the meetings are more like a handout shop, where people or groups from all over the Boston area ask for money and the committee give to them - even though it not just for Boston town area residents.
“There are no discussions or views on anything else in this committee except to give money away.
“I think I have witnessed at least £40,000 given away - in my opinion to projects, furniture or groups that should have been given from the council’s budget.
“Secondly BTAC is not a town ‘parish.’
“With a parish council, as you know, the parish councillors are elected on to the parish and are accountable and representative of the people.
“BTAC does not operate under the same legislation of a parish and is rather different all together.
“I would support a town ‘parish’ council with elected members and its own budget and precept rather than the council nicking and dipping its hands into the BTAC pot whenever it needs funds. 
“On a personal note, compared to many of the other councillors who are retired and have lots of time on their hands, I am self employed and also a full time dad.
“This is not an excuse not to attend meetings, and to be honest I could have attended 100% quite easily.
“The fact of the matter is these meetings are not democracy.
“They are not informative, and in most cases are a waste of time.
“The most important group I have been on and been involved with has been the task and finish group on immigration -and hopefully some strong points to actually help the town will be put across.
“Unfortunately, when it comes down to cabinet or full council having to enforce or make our group’s decisions become policy, I think they will decline.
“I expected local government to be a struggle - but I never expected a bunch of middle aged retired men with no clue on the problems the town faces just to be hell bent on making it a worse place.
“I have attended licence hearings lately to oppose new shops getting alcohol licences - whose applications can only be described as farcical.”
He cited one application where it was admitted that shop customers committed crime when parking on the path – “only to be told by the legal secretary that parking on the path is a county issue and not relevant.
“The licence lady also informed me to my disbelief that any new licence application can be left blank and the council must still accept and give the licence.
“I am doing lots of stuff, and please remember I have the ward with the most issues - and not any other councillor has offered me any help in solving many of these issues.
“No interest has come from any party, and obviously the controlling party - who did not even field a candidate for this ward – does not have any concerns or feelings towards helping my ward.
“I am fighting, I am trying, and I will keep doing this.
“Running for county seats and paying my own deposits for Police Commissioner, and also paying every single campaign expense myself are not things to be taken lightly in my opinion.”



You can write to us at boston.eye@googlemail.com  Your e-mails will be treated in confidence and published anonymously if requested.

Our former blog is archived at: http://bostoneyelincolnshire.blogspot.com


2 comments:

  1. Although it pains me to say it, I have to agree with what Coun Fountain says on Boston Eye. The Democratic deficit in Boston is there for all to see,as is the total farce surrounding the unlimited and ever growing number of Off Licences granted. As for the parking crime he mentions taking place outside some of these outlets, experience would suggest that this is also correct. On Wednesday morning I stood outside of Boston Insurance Brokers in West Street and what went on was quite an eye opener, fast moving cars were pulling up without any warning whatsoever, parking on the double yellow lines on both sides of the street, the drivers going into the various retail outlets for their obviously urgent supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely that enough is enough and it is time action was taken to stop this illegal parking.
      I was held up near to the rail crossing on Tuesday because a bus coming round the mini roundabout had stopped just on entering West St due to cars parked outside an outlet.

      Delete